It's essential to know you character's stats and more important, how each stat will boost your character's dps, armor, HP and so on.
A good micro-management of your char's stats is probably the most important char development strategy in a MMORPG and Star Wars: The Old Republic is no different.
If you're a new player in the MMO scene, you need to know there are 2 sets of stats, primary stats
(base stats) and secondary stats.
Primary Stats are basically the core of your character, understanding these stats, will help you efficiently increase your character's output (damage, healing) and resistance (armor, HP). Although SWTOR is offering a great deal of customization to your character and its companions, managing your stats is really what makes you different from all other players. So, let's see some stats, shall we?
- Increases your melee power (damage & healing) and critical hit rate
This is the primary stat of the Jedi Knight
and Sith Warrior
- Increases your ranged power (damage & healing) and critical hit rate
This is the primary stat of the Trooper
and Bounty Hunter
- Increases your tech power (damage & healing) and critical hit rate
This is the primary statistic of the Imperial Agent
- Increases your force power (damage & healing) and critical hit rate
This is the primary stat of the Sith Inquisitor
and Jedi Consular
- Increases your character's HP
- Boosts your companion's health, dps and healing
- Increases the amount of damage and healing done as well as reduces the amount of damage you take in PvP combat. This stat appears on every PvP set.
- Gives melee, force and tech damage & healing
- Gives only force or tech power
- Increases the haste for ability casting/channeling
- Increases melee, force and tech crit rating
- Gives +hit chance. Once you reach the hit cap, accuracy starts reducing enemy defenses (ability to parry/dodge your incoming attack) or resistance to force or tech abilities.
- Increases the probability of damage absorbed
- Increases the critical hit (damage/healing) bonus
- Reduces physical and kinetic damage (Kinetic=Tech and Force powers)
- Increases Parry/Deflect (Deflect is a ranged parry)
- Increases chance to be shielded on attack
What's important to remember is that any class needs to have is primary stat maxed out. The secondary stats will greatly boost your primary stats but that depends entirely on multiple factors such as level/stat cap. Veteran MMO players know what I'm talking about, bosting a stat beyond capping is a nono aka fail.
Hope you got a general idea about stats in SWTOR, as you've probably figured it out, the stats are fairly simplistic and pretty straightforward.